Earnings numbers alone won't determine the fate of the group, either. The fear among investors is that the big wave of smartphone innovation has crested and receded. Now, instead of offering must-have features, a company like Apple is reduced to offering its new iPhone in more colors in an effort to drum up excitement.
If the product announcements in September -- especially those from Apple -- are exciting enough to prove that pessimism false, I think technology stocks could outperform their earnings numbers. Without earnings or excitement, though, the sector won't provide the leadership an extension of this rally needs.
If this sounds to you like a thin reed, I think you're right -- and this thin reed, bear in mind, is among the best hopes for the next stage in this rally. That indicates how just how extended the U.S. market is, and how far fundamentals are lagging behind share prices at the moment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV