NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The search for deep value is never-ending: even in the current environment where it is getting difficult to find many companies that are indeed cheap. That means that you have to turn over even more rocks in order to find something of interest.
As I reported last week, my favorite deep value technique, companies trading Bottom Feeding for Deep Value Success Is Rare but Possible, is not revealing a great deal of opportunity these days. The overall rising tide of the markets has lifted most boats higher, and as a result, the net/net cupboard is nearly empty at this point.
That has certainly happened before, perhaps not to the current extent, but when it does, I often relax my search criteria a bit in order to identify the next best thing. That involves the identification of what I call "double nets," or companies trading at between one and two times net current asset value. Often, these companies become net/nets during market corrections, so it is good to know what names are on the precipice of falling below net current asset value.
When identifying double nets, I utilize the following criteria:
- Market cap is greater than $250 million
- Companies are U.S. based and trade on a major exchange
- Trades at between one and two times net current asset value (NCAV; defined as current assets minus total liabilities from the most recent quarter)
- Financial companies are excluded.
Electronic components name AVX (AVX) is the second largest double net with a market cap of $2.16 billion. Currently trading at 1.64 times net current asset value, AVX has a solid balance sheet, ending the latest quarter with $1.04 billion, or $6.18 per share in cash and short-term investments. Shares trade just under 16 times 2014 consensus earnings estimates, and yield 2.7%. AVX data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV