Worse yet, Pandora seems almost dead-set against the notion of partnering with anybody but advertisers. Why aren't they collaborating with Ticketfly? Pandora could provide the peanut butter in the jelly sandwich the startup spreads with clubs such as the Roxy and Troubadour. There's a reason why iconic clubs -- and places you've never heard of -- are signing on with Ticketfly. They need the help. And they recognize the power of the platform.
But this is one of the things that happens -- clearly -- after you go public. Pandora and Facebook perfectly illustrate it. You lose sight of your mission as you become a slave to short-term numbers. You allow your stock price and reversals from backward-looking Wall Street analysts to be your guide and, worse yet, the fuel for your passion, whether you know it or not.
Today, this might sound like nitpicking. But, soon enough, management teams, particularly founders, at companies who have lost sight of their mission after going public will remember what brought them to the dance. When they do, they'll make attempts to shift course yet again. But these attempts can prove feeble. It's tough to go back to your roots after you sell your soul to Wall Street. The user base that once advocated for your product -- as righteous -- will have moved on.
I'd like to think Twitter is paying attention, but that would be as naive as thinking a company can effectively balance the reasons why it exists with its need to satisfy investors. This reality reveals why locked-in capital gains often outlast the integrity of what was once a wholesome and refreshingly disruptive idea.Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV