SAO PAULO, Aug. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- ESC Brazil 2013 -- Atmel Corporation (NASDAQ: ATML), a global leader in microcontroller (MCU) and touch solutions, today announced the company is shipping in production quantities its new Atmel ® SAM D20, the first series in a new family of ultra-low power embedded Flash microcontrollers based on the ARM ® Cortex ®-M0+ processor.
In this era of the Internet of Things (IoT), products used in building automation, consumer electronics, smart metering, and industrial controls are becoming smarter and more connected. With Atmel's new SAM D20 MCU available to the mass market, designers now have access to a new Cortex M0+ based MCU to easily add more intelligence and connectivity to next-generation IoT devices.
The new series combines innovative and proven technologies including intelligent peripherals with Atmel's Event System and capacitive touch support for button, slider and wheel capability and proximity sensing. The new SAM D20 series is supported by the latest version of Atmel Studio and Atmel Software Framework, the integrated development platform for developing and debugging Atmel ARM Cortex-M and Atmel AVR ® MCU- based applications."We've built decades of innovation and experience in embedded Flash MCU technology into our new Atmel SAM D20 family," said Ingar Fredriksen, Sr. Director of Flash-based Microcontrollers. "The SAM D20 sets a new benchmark for flexibility and ease-of-use, and combines the performance and energy efficiency of the ARM Cortex-M0+ core with an optimized architecture and peripheral set. We've brought true differentiation into this new family, making it the ideal MCU for low-power, cost-sensitive industrial and consumer applications." Key features for Atmel's SAM D20 Cortex-M0+ ARM-based series includes:
- Integration of high-precision 12-bit analog and internal oscillators, up to eight 16-bit timer/counters, real-time performance, peripheral event system, and flexible clocking options and sleep modes
- Serial communication module (SERCOM module) that can be configured from the application to act as an USART, UART, SPI and I2C; each device in this new family includes four to six SERCOM modules
- Support for button, slider and wheel touch capability as well as proximity without the need for external components, and features 14 new devices available in 32-, 48- and 64-pin package options with 16 to 256KB of Flash memory.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts