BATTLE CREEK, Mich., Aug. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, the boomer generation is not just planning for a quiet, slow-paced retirement. They're making major changes and pursuing lifelong goals, eager to enjoy this phase in their lives. But according to a study commissioned by Kellogg's® in partnership with the publishers of Prevention magazine 1, while boomers desire a healthy, active retirement, one-third don't know where to start and many are generally overlooking their health, nutrition and fitness. However, more than half of boomers say they would make healthier decisions if they knew how it impacted them.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/63050-kellogg-s-and-prevention-research-boomers-healthy-active-retirement
Behavior Doesn't Match Belief. The study found that while 81 percent of boomers believe eating a healthy diet is important, 49 percent spend more time worrying about their finances than their health. Additionally, one out of three skips breakfast on a regular basis and nearly half of the boomers surveyed are not familiar with their cholesterol levels or body mass index (BMI) – but 86 percent of boomers know their checking account balance and 81 percent know their credit card balance.A few additional key findings from the survey include:
- Boomers say nutrition is the most important factor in deciding food purchases.
- Younger boomers are caught in the sandwich generation and don't have time to focus on their health.
- Close to 50 percent reported that health is important to them but they're too busy to focus on it compared to around 30 percent of their older counterparts.
- The number one thing boomers want to do in retirement is spend more time with family.
- Start The Day Off Right: Eating breakfast helps jumpstart your metabolism, provides fuel for your body and can be a great way to get fiber – an important nutrient we all need. Start your morning with a breakfast that provides fiber, like a bowl of cereal, to help you reach your recommended daily fiber intake.
- Create Muscle Mass: Our muscle mass tends to decrease as we age, but the good news is you can help slow that down! Muscles burn more calories than fat, so add weight resistance exercises to your workouts a few times a week to help build a healthier body and also improve your metabolism.
- Keep In Motion: A healthy lifestyle means a well-balanced diet and keeping your body moving. It's easy to go right for the couch after a meal, but go for a 30-minute walk instead.
- Finding Your Healthy Weight: Along with regular exercise, help manage your weight with regular healthy eating and snacking by planning ahead.
- A Breakfast Surprise: Eating a balanced diet can be a hard task, but the good news is that you can get a jump start on your daily nutrition at breakfast! Antioxidants, potassium, omega-3 and wheat bran fiber are all important nutrients that you can get with a simple bowl of cereal.
- Kellogg's Raisin Bran® – an excellent source of fiber and a good source of potassium. Kellogg's Raisin Bran is a great heart-healthy breakfast option to start the day with*.
- Kellogg's Raisin Bran Omega-3® – Kellogg's is launching a new variety of the boomer favorite – another heart-healthy option. It has two scoops of sun-ripened raisins in every box and boasts flaxseeds that provide 250mg of omega-3 ALA oils and five grams of fiber per serving.
- Kellogg's Special K®, - provides many delicious varieties to help with weight management goals, including Special K Protein® and new Special K Nourish®
- Kellogg's All-Bran Original® – is made with wheat bran fiber, a concentrated source of fiber that helps maintain regularity and digestive balance
- Kellogg's Smart Start® – contains antioxidants, including vitamins A (with beta carotene), C and E, for overall health
- Click to Tweet: Do you think eating healthy is important for retirement? 81% of boomers do. New Survey @Kelloggs_US @Rodale_Grow: http://bit.ly/1bmWNmj
- Click to Tweet: How are you preparing for an active retirement? Small steps can yield healthy futures –@Kelloggs_US @CherylForbergRD http://bit.ly/1bmWNmj
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV