Joy Global Inc. (NYSE: JOY), a worldwide leader in high-productivity mining solutions, today reported third quarter fiscal 2013 results.
Overview of the Quarter
- Bookings totaled $695 million, down 36 percent from a year ago, and down 28 percent excluding foreign currency impacts.
- Net sales were $1.3 billion compared to $1.4 billion a year ago.
- Operating income was 20.8 percent of sales compared to 21.6 percent of sales in the third quarter of 2012.
- Earnings per fully diluted share was $1.71 in the current quarter, compared to $1.82 in 2012. Excluding unusual items, earnings per fully diluted share was $1.70 in the current quarter, compared to $1.87 in 2012.
- Cash provided by continuing operations was $350 million in the third quarter compared to $157 million a year ago.
- The Board of Directors authorized the company to repurchase up to $1.0 billion in shares of common stock over the next 36 months. Under the program, the company may repurchase shares in the open market in accordance with applicable rules and regulations of the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Third Quarter Operating Results
“Once again, the quarter’s results demonstrate strong operational efficiencies and weak market conditions,” said Mike Sutherlin, President and Chief Executive Officer. “The market has become even more challenging, with declines in order rates for both original equipment and aftermarket. The supply surplus that was centered in the U.S. coal market last year has migrated to the international markets, and they are now going through similar aftermarket corrections to that in the U.S. Based on the U.S. experience, we expect this to create headwinds for most of the next year. Although original equipment orders have always been lumpy, the uncertainty around their timing has increased. A select number of projects are continuing to move forward, but at a measured pace so they do not get ahead of the market. As a result, we expect the order rate to take a step down from our previous outlook until both demand and commodity pricing improve, but at the same time we expect the run rate to be above that of the current quarter.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV