CLEVELAND, Aug. 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. (NYSE: CLF) (Paris: CLF) announced today the release of its 2012 sustainability report, entitled "Embracing our Past, Securing our Future." The sustainability report is a comprehensive look at Cliffs' global operations and outlines the Company's progress in key areas of its sustainability strategy.
"This year has been marked by continual change and volatility in the commodities market, which has presented our Company with a number of opportunities and challenges. However, our expectations of personal accountability and business ethics are unwavering," said David Cartella, vice-president – global environmental affairs, sustainability and counsel. "Going forward, we will continue to build upon a strong foundation of sustainability with the development of a three-year, enterprise-wide strategy. Aligned with business priorities and integrated with operational and functional groups, this strategy aims to maximize our shared value by reinforcing our social license to operate."
Highlighted sustainability accomplishments for 2012 include:
- Cliffs was ranked top performer in the iron and steel subsector group – and 34 th overall – on the Maplecroft Climate Innovation Index, a Bloomberg listing of top-performing U.S.-based companies in terms of climate-related innovation and carbon management programs.
- Developed and guided the implementation of spill reduction initiatives, which achieved a total spill volume reduction of more than 75% from 2011 levels.
- More than 18 percent of Cliffs' total electricity purchases in 2012 came from renewable energy generation.
- Partnered with the city of Ishpeming in Michigan to finance the Partridge Creek Diversion Project, which aims to reduce or eliminate mercury levels in nearby Deer Lake.
- Initiated the Bloom Lake Cliffs Forum, near the Company's Eastern Canada iron ore operation, a civic quarterly meeting to proactively address the community's interests and concerns.
- Implemented a new salaried employee talent management system that tracks individual goals, accomplishments and career aspirations to assist in internal recruitment and development of succession plans.