GM is also touting improvements in the compact segment. It said Chevrolet's small and compact car sales rose 229% between the second quarter of 2010 and the second quarter of 2013. GM attributed the gains to its inroads among millennials, also known as Generation Y (Wikipedia said that in describing millennials, "commentators use beginning birth dates from the early 1980s to the early 2000s").
"Nearly four in 10 millennial buyers are purchasing within the compact car segment," said Dora Nowicki, Chevrolet Sonic marketing director, in a prepared statement. .
GM said millennials are buying the Cruze, the Sonic and the Spark mini-car. "Leading the segment is the Cruze, which is among the top-selling Chevrolet vehicles to those under 25," GM said. "One in four Sonic and Spark buyers are also under 25, while almost six in 10 buyers of those cars are new to Chevrolet." In July, Cruze sales rose 70% to 25,447 and Cruze was the No. 2 selling compact car after Honda (HMC) Civic.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV