NEW YORK (TheStreet) - The New York Times (NYT) web site was dark Tuesday afternoon after an apparent hacking incident that a company official said was "most likely result of malicious external attack.''
Times spokeswoman Eileen Murphy made the announcement in a tweet at 4:26pm New York time. The site stopped functioning at about 3pm. Murphy said the newspaper was "working to fix" the problem.
The alleged hacking follows a similar shutdown on Aug. 14 when the Times' web site also went dark though the apparent cause was a "server issue," Murphy said at the time. WSJ Pounces on Times' Website Malfunction, Lowers Paywall
For those eager to access the Times' website, users can go directly to their Internet Protocol address at http://220.127.116.11/.As for the assailant, a group calling itself the Syrian Electronic Army took responsibility for the online attack: Hi @Twitter, look at your domain, its owned by #SEA :) The S&P 500 posted its largest drop since June on Tuesday following reports that the U.S. may spearhead a multi-country military intervention against Syria this week in response to evidence of chemical weapons. The missile strikes against the Middle Eastern nation could begin as early as Thursday. The Times continues to emphasize growth in online subscribers to compensate for the decline in print revenues. At the end of June, the Times said digital subscribers at its U.S. and international editions had increased 35 percent to 699,000. -- Written by Leon Lazaroff in New York >To contact the writer of this article, click here: LeonLazaroff.>.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV