CHICAGO, Aug. 27, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As children head back to school and families gear up for busy schedules packed with after-school activities, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics encourages families to reduce their risk of food poisoning with food safety tips from the Home Food Safety program – a collaboration between the Academy and ConAgra Foods.
"Hectic after-school activities can leave students with little time to eat, let alone worry about food safety," said registered dietitian nutritionist and Academy Spokesperson Deborah Beauvais. "Whether reheating dinner or packing after-school snacks, set your student up for success with a few simple safety steps."
Reheating dinner"Between soccer practice, music lessons and other after-school activities, your children may be home late for dinner, and you may find yourself reheating dinner once, twice or even three times in an evening," Beauvais said. "If you're saving dinner for later, make sure you properly refrigerate and reheat the leftovers."
If you're saving dinner for latecomers, remember:
- Leftovers should never sit at room temperature for longer than two hours.
- Instead of leaving dinner on the stove before reheating, store it in the fridge (set at 40°F or below according to a refrigerator thermometer) until family members are home and ready to eat.
- Leftovers should be reheated to 165°F. A food thermometer is the only reliable way to ensure safety and determine the doneness of cooked foods.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV