Apple has added five more apps to Apple TV, including two apps from Walt Disney (DIS), The Weather Channel and Vevo, and the Smithsonian Channel. The apps from Disney, Disney Channel and Disney XD provide live programming, similar to what happened with WatchESPN and HBO Go when Apple TV received content upgrades earlier this summer.
However, Disney only provides live services to pay TV subscribers whose service providers have a deal with the entertainment giant.
In June, Apple announced two major deals to continue expanding its software and services content as a way to keep people hooked into the Apple ecosystem. WatchESPN is also a station owned by Walt Disney, while HBO Go is owned by Time Warner (TWX).Apple shares were lower in Tuesday trading, off 0.74% to $499.25. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV