CHICAGO, Aug. 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- An overwhelming majority (88%) of our nation's middle-income Boomer caregivers find caregiving for a parent or spouse harder than they expected, requiring more emotional strength (57%), patience (55%) and time (52%), according to a new study released by the Bankers Life and Casualty Company Center for a Secure Retirement ® (CSR).
The study, Retirement Care Planning: The Middle-Income Boomer Perspective, which surveyed 505 adult caregivers ages 49 to 67 with an annual household income of between $25,000 and $75,000, also found caregiving to cost more (34%), impact their relationships (33%) and take more physical strength (32%) than previously thought.
Caregiving Experience and InsightIn the U.S., unpaid caregivers provide approximately $450 billion worth of care to someone who is ill, disabled or aged. Among middle-income Boomers, four in ten have been a caregiver to a parent or spouse. Among these caregivers, 77% cared for a parent, and nearly one-fourth (23%) cared for a spouse.
Despite the gender stereotypes, male Boomer caregivers are not uncommon. The study cites one-third (32%) of male Boomers classify themselves as adult caregivers, only modestly trailing the percentage of female Boomers who have been adult caregivers (44%).Boomer Caregiving DutiesWhen it comes to caregiving tasks, middle-income Boomer caregivers perform a wide range of duties. Their caregiving spanned all four components of caregiving, including heavy involvement in informal caregiving, care process management, personal caregiving and elements of medical caregiving. Although they primarily relied on doctors and nurses to perform medical caregiving, Boomer caregivers found themselves quite involved in personal caregiving needs, such as:
- Assistance with eating (79%)
- Assistance with getting in and out of bed (78%)
- Assistance with using the toilet (69%)
- Assistance with dressing (68%)
- Assistance with bathing (56%)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV