A Third of Clients Keep Secrets From Their Own Financial Advisers
Why Americans Don't Come Clean With Their Financial Advisers bank accounts, financial advisers
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Why do so many financial consumers hold back information from their investment advisers?
And is that reluctance to come clean costing them in their bank accounts and investment portfolios?
The answer to the latter question is that, yes, withholding personal information from an adviser can curb your financial investment performance.Securian Financial Group, A St. Paul, Minn., financial services firm. Health and marital difficulties rank high among the critical subjects clients do not discuss with their advisers, she says. Securian surveyed 720 U.S. financial advisory clients recently and found some fairly startling data: About 30% of all clients hold back on revealing personal information that could affect their finances, with 52% of respondents saying their secrets are just "too personal to share" and 20% saying some personal data is just too embarrassing to reveal. In the minds of 45% of respondents, their personal matters won't affect their money matters -- yet a full quarter of survey respondents actually have debt their financial advisers don't know about. Clients who withhold persona data from their advisers are bypassing the crucial holistic part of financial planning, Securian says, just because they're afraid to hear what their advisers might say if they knew the whole story. About half of all respondents to the survey say their adviser would likely tell them to either save more or spend less -- and consumers may not want to do those things.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV