Judge Leon was referring to the Fed's implementation of the Durbin Amendment of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010. Durbin requires caps on the interchange fees charged by banks to process debit card purchase transactions for merchants. The Durbin Amendment also requires greater choice for merchants on which transaction network to use.
The judge believes the spirit of the Durbin Amendment was to require merchants to have a choice of payment network for each debit card transaction, rather than for each debit card. If Judge Leon's ruling survives the announced appeal by the Federal Reserve, it will cause a huge changeover by banks and merchants, because some debit cards are only coded for use on one network.
With a roughly 71% market share for debit card purchases, Visa has the most at stake from Judge Leon's ruling. Visa's shares have dropped 8% since July 31, while MasterCard's shares have risen 2%.
Visa's underperformance following Judge Leon's ruling prompted KBW analyst Sanjay Sakhrani on Aug. 14 to call the event a " buying opportunity" for investors."We believe the Fed appeal can be won," Wells Fargo analyst Timothy Willi wrote in a note to investors on Friday, adding that the regulator "should be well prepared to defend their decisions," on how to interpret the language of the Dodd-Frank legislation.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV