(Updates from 12:02 p.m. ET with closing information.)
The California New Car Dealers Association reported that Tesla captured 12% of the luxury and sports car market in the second quarter, selling 4,714 cars between January and June 2013. The electric car maker outsold Porsche, Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover, and Lincoln. Unlike its competitors, Tesla sells only one car model, the Model S sedan.
Tesla's year-to-date sales represent an increase of over 33,000%, as the company sold only 14 cars in California during the same period in 2012.
Apple (AAPL ) shares rose 1.41% to $508.10 as rumors about its imminent products release continued to swirl. In just over two weeks, the tech giant is expected to unveil two new phones: the iPhone 5C, a cheaper model, and the iPhone 5S, an upgrade of its current iPhone model. Apple will also reportedly unveil iTunes Radio, an anticipated Pandora competitor, at the same event. Chatter also circulated that Apple was attempting to hash out a deal with NTT Docomo, Japan's largest carrier, which doesn't sell the iPhone. NTT Docomo has over 61 million users in Japan.
Shares of Netflix (NFLX ) jumped 3.39% to $287.79 as actor Kevin Spacey aggressively defended the company's business model. Spacey, the Academy Award winning-actor who is also nominated for an Emmy for his role in Netflix's House of Cards, said in a keynote speech at the Edinburgh International Television Festival's James MacTaggart Memorial Lecture, implored the TV industry to adapt to the streaming model pioneered by Netflix. "There's no difference
Closing prices: TSLA rose 2.4% to $164.22, AAPL was flat at $502.97 and NFLX rose 1.6% to $282.72. -- Written by Laura Berman in New York Follow @LauraBermanTST
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV