The long-time bull believes investments in JPMorgan likely will be "dead money" in the near term, as headline risks from government and regulatory investigations continue.
The bank is facing six separate investigations from the Department of Justice, four by the Securities and Exchange Commission and three by the Commodities Futures Trading Commission, according to its latest filing.
Bove does not mince words in criticizing the recent lawsuits filed by the Justice Department and the SEC, calling them an outcome of "government vendetta."He said he sees three consequences to earnings as a result of these lawsuits. Investment banking and payments systems businesses are likely to decline as customers start pulling away from JPMorgan while it is under attack. "Every time the government attacks JPMorgan some customer is going to be potentially spotlighted," citing the case of EverBright Bank China, which was highlighted in a story about regulators investigating the bank for potential bribery of Chinese officials . Press reports suggest that the JPMorgan is curtailing its dealings with foreign banks so that it can focus on improving its risk controls, including systems to abide with anti-money laundering requirements. Meanwhile, litigation costs at the bank are likely to increase. The bank estimated that potential legal losses over and above what it had already reserved for could total $6.8 billion. Bove said he believes the management will prevail in most actions against it, but that investors are likely to avoid the stock in the near term. He lowered the price target for the stock to $57 from $60. JPMorgan's stock has lagged other large-cap banks in recent weeks. Some have speculated the government investigations are a way of pushing the country's largest bank to break up.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV