Unresolved mortgage repurchase demands against Bank of America totaled $16.648 billion as of June 30, down from $17.135 billion the previous quarter, mainly reflecting a settlement with bond insurer MBIA (MBI). Even though $16.648 billion is a very large figure, the company "estimates that the range of possible loss for representations and warranties exposures could be up to $4 billion over accruals at June 30, 2013," according to its second-quarter 10-Q filing.
"We do not currently have an EPS estimate beyond or 2014 estimate of $1.38," Mutascio wrote. "However, if we were to assume annual operating expenses were to fall to $57.0-$58.5 billion from our 2014 estimate of $61.4 billion (assumes the potential for some natural expense creep), then
"The timing of the full EPS impact would seem to be a 2016 event since Legacy Asset Servicing costs are not expected to normalize at $500 million per quarter until 4Q15," Mutascio added.
Looking beyond the LAS cost savings, based on Thompson's comments, "one could build the company's annual
Valuation and Expected ReturnsMutascio rates Bank of America "market perform," with a price target of $15.00. Bank of America's shares closed at $14.57 Friday and traded for 10.6 times the consensus 2014 earnings estimate of $1.38. Among the "big four" U.S. banks, only Wells Fargo trades at a similar valuation, with shares closing Friday at $42.76, or 10.6 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $4.02. Citigroup's shares closed Friday at $49.83 Friday and traded for 8.9 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $5.57. JPMorgan was cheapest among the group, with shares closing Friday at $52.32, or 8.6 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $6.11.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV