By Mike Yamamoto, managing editor of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- TiVo (TIVO) is drawing bullish option activity ahead of its earnings report Tuesday.
More than 8,200 January 11 calls traded in a strong buying pattern on Friday, led by prints of 3,488 and 3,000 that went for $1.08 and $1.23 respectively, according to OptionMonster's real-time tracking systems. The volume was well above the strike's open interest of 2,605 contracts before the session began, indicating that new positions were established.
These calls lock in the price where traders can buy the stock through mid-January no matter how far it might rise. But these contracts will track the share price closely because they are in the money and could rapidly lose value if shares stay at current levels or decline in that time.TiVo shares rose 3% on Friday to close at $11.33, just a penny off the session's high and breaking back above their 50-day moving average for the first time in nearly three months. The digital video-recording service has been trapped in a tight range since gapping down from the $14 level on June 7 after settling a long-running patent dispute with Google and Cisco. The company is scheduled to announce second-quarter results after the market closes on Tuesday. Total option volume in the name topped 12,500 contracts on Friday, nearly seven times its daily average for the last month. Overall calls outnumbered puts by 11 to 1, reflecting the session's bullish sentiment. Yamamoto has no positions in TIVO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV