Obama: Law School Should Be Two, Not Three, Years
BROOKLYN, N.Y., Aug. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In a town hall-style meeting at Binghamton University in New York on August 23, 2013, President Obama said, "This is probably controversial to say, but what the heck. I am in my second term, so I can say it. I believe that law schools would probably be wise to think about being two years instead of three years."
The President's remarks were in the context of a nationwide campaign on College Affordability.
In connection with the President's comment, Brooklyn Law School announced three months ago, on May 8, 2013, that it is the first law school in the New York metropolitan area to enable students to earn a J.D. in 2 years. The new Brooklyn 2-year offering is designed for select students seeking a rigorous legal education in an abbreviated timeframe. Candidates interested in, and qualified for, this type of intense program might be, for example: 1) mid-life or mid-career professionals, including CPAs, MBA graduates, or those from academia desiring legal credentials and a new start; 2) foreign-trained lawyers with strong English-language proficiency; 3) individuals with established career plans following law school; or, 4) adults who seek to reenter the workforce.
According to Brooklyn Law School Dean Nick Allard, "The President's support for a 2-year JD is not surprising. There is not a legal educator in the country who is not considering making law school better, more efficient, and more relevant to the new world of law. That's why at Brooklyn Law School we are offering a rigorous 2-year accelerated JD Program to students who can handle doing three years of work in 24 months. But, a 2-year program is only one piece of the puzzle."Allard further explained that simply adopting a 2-year program does not, in and of itself, provide the answer for every student. "There is no one size fits all," Allard noted.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV