NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Doug Kass of Seabreeze Partners is known for his accurate stock market calls and keen insights into the economy, which he shares with RealMoney Pro readers in his daily trading diary.
Among the posts this past week were entries about Carl Icahn, the Nasdaq flash freeze and quantitative easing.
Please click here for information about subscribing to RealMoney Pro.
Tweet From Carl Icahnl
Originally published on Thursday, Aug. 22 at 2:48 p.m. EDT. He says he will meet with Apple (AAPL) CEO Tim Cook on buyback. See below:
Spoke to Tim. Planning dinner in September. Tim believes in buyback and is doing one. What will be discussed is magnitude.— Carl Icahn (@Carl_C_Icahn) August 22, 2013From my perch, this tweet by Icahn minutes before a possible reopening of Apple's shares (and after a breakdown under $500) is borderline promotional -- manipulative and questionable from an ethical standpoint.
The Flash Freeze
Originally published on Thursday, Aug. 22 at 2:45 p.m. EDT. Many are surprised that the levels of stock prices have been materially unaffected by the Nasdaq's flash freeze. Upon reflection, why should this impact the short-term direction of stock prices? As Josh Brown just mentioned, the majority of retail investors are in ETFs and not in individual Nasdaq issues.
The Essence of the Bear Case for U.S. Stocks
Originally published on Wednesday, Aug. 21 at 11:44 a.m. EDT. With the release of the Fed minutes only a few hours away, here are some of my deep thoughts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV