If it is a bubble, then what investors most keenly want to know is, when is it likely to burst.
"I don't view it as a bubble," Drone said. "Industries go in and out of favor," he added, noting that the phenomenon of large full-service pharmaceutical companies facing holes in their drug pipelines from loss of exclusivity could give the biotechs quite a long run. "If a biotech company is attractive, then yes, there's going to be a significant positive upward push on its share price. The large pharma with an established commercial infrastructure can take that asset, even at the higher price, and commercialize it, so it's not that expensive to them.
Mendelson also said that while he doesn't "think it's unlimited," higher valuations probably won't slow down within the next three to four years.
Perhaps the high IPO rate for biotechs and heightened valuations won't end for a year, or more, but investors should definitely keep their eye on the marketplace.As Schoenebaum said, "Think about what it means when a platform technology company is oversubscribed and trades up 50% on its first day. These are the kinds of things that happen when you look back historically and say, hey, that was a bubble. [...] We are in a very, very, special time that raises some questions about when all this ends, and will it end badly or not?"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV