We're Getting More Confused by Credit Card Terms and Rewards
NEW YORK (LowCards.com) -- Credit card users are more satisfied with their cards this year, but a substantial number remain confused about their rewards and terms.
The 2013 Credit Card Satisfaction Study by J.D. Power showed fewer than one-half (47%) of credit card customers say they "completely" understand their credit card terms. Among these customers, 73% indicate a lack of clarity regarding interest rates and 31% lack an understanding of late payment fees.
In addition, many customers say they remain confused about their credit card rewards. Customer understanding of how to earn and redeem rewards with their credit card has dropped over the past year, with 59% of customers saying they "completely" understand how to earn rewards now, compared with 66% last year. One-third of customers said they are unaware of the benefits associated with their card.
The study showed there could be a strong financial incentive for issuers to do a better job explaining the rewards programs to their customers."Customers who use their card's benefits spend an average of $400 more per month on their card compared with those who are aware of benefits but do not use them, so clearly this is an area of importance to card issuers," said Jim Miller, senior director of banking services at J.D. Power.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV