AFGE National President J. David Cox Sr. To Speak At 50th Anniversary March On Washington
WASHINGTON, Aug. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AFGE National President J. David Cox Sr. will speak at the 50th Anniversary March on Washington, commemorating the 1963 March when the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. spoke to hundreds of thousands of civil rights activists on the national mall about his dreams for equality and economic justice. Busloads of AFGE leaders and members from across the country will attend the 50th Anniversary March.
Cox will address the rally, noting that although much progress on civil rights has occurred in the five decades since King exhorted the nation to end legal discrimination, the economic justice that King sought to bring about by joining the struggle for democracy at the ballot box to democracy at the workplace has not been realized.
"The same forces that fought so bitterly and violently against civil rights are behind today's efforts to deny collective bargaining rights and to suppress voting in state after state," Cox will say. "We will not let them succeed. Failure is not an option. We must organize so that our movements are too big to fail. Too big to ignore and too big for anyone to even consider taking on."
The American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) is the largest federal employee union, representing 670,000 workers in the federal government and the government of the District of Columbia .For the latest AFGE news and information, follow us on Facebook and Twitter .
SOURCE American Federation of Government Employees
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV