On the fence in this debate are tech and banks. Tech should be better with Europe and China coming back, but you can't jump the gun as Hewlett-Packard's (HPQ) results tell you.
The banks? They do better in a sloping curve environment because they can pay you next to nothing and lend and invest your dollars at much higher returns. In the interim, though, they have to readjust their book of business because the higher rates have slammed down the refinancing gold mine and the lack of affordability has hurt mortgage applications. Banks are in flux.
We just don't know enough and we just don't have enough data to make a good decision.
At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, had no positions in the stocks mentioned.
A Vicious Coda to the Ballmer Years Posted at 10:26 p.m. EDT on Friday, Aug. 23 To survive as a technology company in this day and age you need to be dominant in social, mobile and the cloud. Steve Ballmer's Microsoft (MSFT) failed terribly with the first two -- despite owning Skype! -- and says it's big in the third, but I don't know a soul in the business who thinks that. That's why, in the end, he had to go. (NFLX) or Twitter or Yahoo! (YHOO) or even Sprint (S) and reinvented the company, turning it into a social and mobile powerhouse. But he never did. Instead he hooked up with a sinking Nokia (NOK) for mobile and never monetized Skype the way he should have and failed to buy Yahoo!, which was a dreadful decision.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV