It also looks as if the company's decision last quarter to drop items such as chicken selects and the fruit and walnut salad was a smart move. These changes come as the company recently added new breakfast items, including egg white sandwiches and chicken wraps, along with various Dollar-Menu offerings.
In that regard, I believe McDonald's remains unparalleled when it comes to strategic pricing and outside-the-box thinking. Management never wastes time trying different things, nor do they hesitate to pull items off the menu that are not performing as expected.
It is this mindset, along with the company's ability to innovate and its continued focus on service and value, that leads me to fully expect McDonald's to emerge from this rough patch with solid long-term profits.
I'm not pretending that the company's near-term struggles don't matter. But I believe it's pointless and narrow-minded to assess McDonald's on the basis of one quarter or even one fiscal year.Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV