Although Mickey-D's golden arches have long been the golden standard in the U.S. quick-service space, the tough consumer spending environment, which has also hurt strong brands like Coca-Cola (KO), has shown no favorites as same-store sales continue to disappoint. Consequently, so has the stock, which is down almost 10% since April.
I'm not going to deny that McDonald's has underperformed. But given the company's size and scale, we need to keep things in perspective.
I'm reading articles suggesting that analysts are no longer "loving McDonald's." But this is not a situation where the company is losing market share.Sales do need to improve. But that's also the case at rival restaurants like Yum! Brands (YUM), which, like McDonald's, posted 1% growth in same-store sales for restaurants open for at least a year. What's more, both companies trend neck-and-neck, including posting similar 1% growth in U.S., while experiencing soft sales in the rest of the world. The fact that consumer confidence has yet to fully emerge out of its pre-recession slump is a concern. I believe this has taken a toll on not only McDonald's, but even Wal-Mart (WMT) has seen a reduction in store traffic. (CMG), rising costs of protein can add pressure on menu items. But McDonald's has been through much worse. And let's not discount the fact that even though operating margin declined in the recent quarter, the company still posted a 2% increase in operating income. Essentially, amid rising food and labor costs, management still figured ways to squeeze a strong profit, helped by efficient cost controls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV