Financial Consultants Support Fiduciary Standard for Retirement Investors
NEW YORK (MainStreet)--As the Department of Labor prepares to issue new rules that could expand a "client-first" standard of financial care for retirement investors, a new survey says most financial advisors favor the more-stringent guidelines.
More than three-quarters (79%) of advisors support an ERISA fiduciary standard for advice to investors on rollovers from 401(k) and IRA retirement accounts, according to the fi360-ThinkAdvisor Fiduciary Survey. Currently, advisors can be exempt from the more stringent standard under certain conditions.
Some financial services companies are lobbying against the requirement that brokers put investors' interests first, rather than adhering to the more lax "suitability" standard. The Securities and Exchange Commission is also considering expanding the fiduciary standard to advisors to retail investors.
"Extending the fiduciary standard in both of these regulatory areas to broker-dealers that service qualified plans and retail investors would have a dramatic effect on the regulatory landscape by increasing disclosure of conflicts of interest and mandating a 'best interest' standard across the securities industry," the report claims.Opponents have argued that the fiduciary standard would increase investors' costs and limit their access to advice and products. But survey respondents said extending the fiduciary standard to brokers: would not cost investors more for advice (79%), would not price investors out of the market for advice (69%) and would not limit access to advice or products (68%).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV