Trade-Ideas: Occidental Petroleum Corporation (OXY) Is Today's "Barbarian At The Gate" Stock
- OXY has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $301.3 million.
- OXY has traded 2.9 million shares today.
- OXY traded in a range 202.7% of the normal price range with a price range of $2.17.
- OXY traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 9 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 9 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock s movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in OXY with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for OXY NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on OXY: Occidental Petroleum Corporation engages in the exploration and production of oil and gas properties in the United States and internationally. The company operates in three segments: Oil and Gas; Chemical; and Midstream, Marketing and Other. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3%. OXY has a PE ratio of 15.7. Currently there are 10 analysts that rate Occidental Petroleum Corporation a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 7 rate it a hold. The average volume for Occidental Petroleum Corporation has been 4.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Occidental has a market cap of $68.8 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 1.81 and a short float of 1% with 2.28 days to cover. Shares are up 11.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Occidental Petroleum Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 10.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- OXY's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.18 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.01, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The gross profit margin for OCCIDENTAL PETROLEUM CORP is rather high; currently it is at 56.54%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 22.17% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $3,513.00 million or 10.02% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -17.85%.
- OCCIDENTAL PETROLEUM CORP reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, OCCIDENTAL PETROLEUM CORP reported lower earnings of $5.71 versus $8.15 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($6.85 versus $5.71).
- You can view the full Occidental Petroleum Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.