Allied Nevada Gold
My final breakout trading prospect is Allied Nevada Gold (ANV), a gold mining company. This stock has been destroyed by the bears so far in 2013, with shares off sharply by 84%.
If you look at the chart for Allied Nevada Gold, you'll notice that this stock has been downtrending badly for the last six months, with shares plunging lower from over $20 to its recent low of $3.54 a share. During that downtrend, shares of ANV have been consistently making lower highs and lower lows, which is bearish technical price action. That said, shares of ANV recently saw some higher volume capitulation selling down to that $3.54 low. That could be marking a low for the stock, and shares have now started to uptrend in the near-term from $3.54 to its recent high of $4.82 a share. That rebound is starting to push shares of ANV within range of triggering a major breakout trade.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in ANV if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance at $4.82 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above that level with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 4.02 million shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then ANV will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at its 50-day moving average of $5.79 a share to $7 to $7.50 a share. Traders can look to buy ANV off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below some key near-term support levels at $4.25 or that recent low of $3.54 a share. One could also buy ANV off strength once it clears that breakout level with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a conformable percentage from your entry point. To see more breakout candidates, check out the Breakout Stocks of the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Roberto Pedone in Delafield, Wis.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV