One stock that's starting to move within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade is Trulia (TRLA), which operates as a real estate search engine. This stock has been red hot so far in 2013, with shares up sharply by 167%.
If you take a look at the chart for Trulia, you'll notice that this stock has been trending sideways and consolidating gains for the last month, after it gapped up sharply from $36 to $48 with heavy upside volume. That sideways trend has shares of TRLA moving between $40.56 on the downside and $48.40 on the upside. Shares of TRLA are now starting to bounce off some near-term support at $42 a share, and it's quickly moving within range of triggering a major breakout trade above the upper-end of its recent range.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in TRLA if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance at $47.95 and then once it takes out its all-time high at $48.40 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 679,352 shares. If that breakout hits soon, then TRLA will set up to enter new all-time high territory, which is bullish technical price action. Some possible upside targets off that breakout are $55 to $60, or even $65 a share. Traders can look to buy TRLA off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below some key near-term support levels at $41.96 or $40.56 a share. One could also buy TRLA off strength once it takes out those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV