I suspect we will see a new Apple Band before the end of the year, just in time for the holidays -- and it will be a big hit.
3. 5C will be embraced by the emerging markets and will make Apple a boatload of money.
Most Wall Street analysts are not excited about the rumors we keep hearing about a lower-cost iPhone -- called the 5C -- aimed at the emerging markets.
Their view is Apple just won't make typical Apple margins in this area. So, if it's not going to make money, why do it?But it's critical for Apple to play in this lower-cost space. Right now, Apple is being ripped to shreds in China because Android is seeping everywhere. Everyone in the emerging markets is getting off their flip feature phones and moving over the Android. Every Android user is a lost opportunity for Apple. So, from a market share perspective, it's a must. From an app perspective, too. For the longest time, Apple's iOS has been the first app developers build on. Android users -- even though they're greater in number -- have not been as active in using their apps. But that's slowly changing and the raw numbers show that, soon, they will be so huge that developers will have to build for them first. That's a big threat to Apple. Therefore, winning as much market share in these emerging economies is even more critical to Apple's future. So that's why Apple needs to compete, but can it make a lot of money there? That's going to be the biggest surprise, in my view. Apple has a history of not making a product unless it can make money off it. The company will move heaven and earth in its supply chain until it makes money from it. It won't be the margins you get when selling a $649 device, but it also won't be zero or less, like Amazon (AMZN). The Apple profits will still continue to tick upwards. All in all, it should be an exciting autumn for Apple investors. At the time of publication the author was long AAPL. Follow @ericjackson This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV