Sell-Rated Dividend Stocks In The Top 4: AMTG, MITT, EFC, STB
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Sell." Apollo Residential Mortgage (NYSE: AMTG) shares currently have a dividend yield of 19.10%. Apollo Residential Mortgage, Inc. operates as a residential real estate trust that invests in, finances, and manages residential mortgage assets in the United States. Its investment portfolio includes agency and non-agency residential mortgage-backed securities. The company has a P/E ratio of 5.19. The average volume for Apollo Residential Mortgage has been 673,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Apollo Residential Mortgage has a market cap of $470.3 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are down 27.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates Apollo Residential Mortgage as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, unimpressive growth in net income and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- APOLLO RESIDENTIAL MTG INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 71.1% in earnings ($2.37 versus $8.19).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 375.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $26.40 million to -$72.77 million.
- The share price of APOLLO RESIDENTIAL MTG INC has not done very well: it is down 23.00% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, APOLLO RESIDENTIAL MTG INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for APOLLO RESIDENTIAL MTG INC is currently very high, coming in at 87.06%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -175.88% is in-line with the industry average.
- You can view the full Apollo Residential Mortgage Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts