NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The independent researchers and testers at Consumer Reports magazine are suggesting readers wait before purchasing a new Nexus 7 Android tablet until Google (GOOG) provides fixes for some of the "glitches" being reported.
Although first declaring the Nexus 7's "size, price and display quality make a killer combination" new user complaints have forced Consumer Reports to update that recommendation to "despite its many positive features, you may want to wait before you buy one."
Despite the reported software flaws, Google shares were gaining 0.25% to $875.86 early Friday.
The glitches testers found include touchscreen misbehavior such as missing or repeated touches and keystrokes. Consumer Reports found its sample wouldn't allow its testers to properly use the built-in Swype keyboard.There are also major problems being reported concerning the Nexus 7's GPS functions. The magazine found the tablet's Maps app froze after 10 minutes of outdoor use despite near perfect weather conditions. Google, for its part, has confirmed the reports of problems with the new Asus-built unit and said it has been busy working on fixes. Late Thursday, on the company's Nexus 7 discussion group, it was announced that a new software update was currently being rolled out to address the keyboard issue. The blog post asks users to let Google know if the fix helps solve their problems. No solution was mentioned for the reported GPS glitch. Consumer Reports advised readers that it discovered these problems in the latest version of the Nexus 7 tablet. It's the model introduced just a few weeks ago, not the best-selling original tablet released last year. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV