CHATSWORTH, Calif., Aug. 22, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- SolarCity® (Nasdaq:SCTY), a leading provider of clean energy, has opened its first operations center in the San Fernando Valley to accommodate customers as far north as Santa Barbara County. The 16,800 square-foot facility is staffed by 61 full-time employees today, and SolarCity currently has 15 job openings at this location. SolarCity already has approximately 2,000 customers in the San Fernando Valley. The company has also begun or completed projects to provide solar power to some 60 school facilities within the Los Angeles, Glendale and Simi Valley Unified School Districts, and will be providing solar electricity to the headquarters of the Las Virgenes-Triunfo Municipal Water District within the next year.
SolarCity's new Chatsworth location was inaugurated today with a ribbon-cutting ceremony attended by staff of Rep. Brad Sherman (D-Sherman Oaks), Senator Fran Pavley (D-Agoura Hills), who presented SolarCity with her annual Sustainability Award recognizing a business, person or organization dedicated to preserving the environment by living and working responsibly, and Los Angeles Councilmember Mitchell Englander.
"We are happy to see private enterprise bring jobs as well as clean air to Chatsworth and the entire San Fernando Valley region," said Sherman. "We continue to do all we can in Washington to help companies like SolarCity thrive so that our community benefits economically and environmentally.""With the growth of companies like SolarCity, California serves as a global example that job growth and reductions in greenhouse gas emissions can go hand in hand," said Pavley, author of the state's landmark climate change law, A.B. 32. "We must accelerate sustainable solutions such as solar that put people to work in places like the San Fernando Valley and help reduce utility bills for residents, schools and businesses."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV