"The segment is so hyper-competitive that it's not enough to have a really good car," Brauer said. "(GM) has to execute flawlessly."
But independent auto analyst John Wolkonowicz said he thinks that is not going to happen. He said the 2014 Malibu is "nothing special.
"They're only changing the front end, that's all that's being accomplished," Wolkonowicz said. "Most people probably won't even notice the different. The segment right now is about Camry, Accord and Fusion. Malibu has had its day."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV