JessicaLessin.com reports that Apple has continued its binge buying of mapping apps, this time acquiring an app that lets users navigate public transportation.
The price was not disclosed, though the deal was confirmed by an Apple spokeswoman, according to JessicaLessin.com. "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans," she said.
The Silicon Valley-based company, which was founded only two years ago, builds apps that allow users to navigate transit systems in some of the U.S.'s major cities, including New York and Chicago.Apple has purchased two other mapping applications in recent months. The company recently bought Locationary and HopStop, as it continues to battle Google (GOOG) for map supremacy. Google purchased Israeli-based Waze earlier this year, and recently started integrating the applications services into Google Maps. Apple shares finished slightly higher on the day, gaining 0.06% to $502.64, as activist Carl Icahn tweeted that he intends to further meet with Apple CEO Tim Cook to discuss the magnitude of the company's buyback.
Spoke to Tim. Planning dinner in September. Tim believes in buyback and is doing one. What will be discussed is magnitude.— Carl Icahn (@Carl_C_Icahn) August 22, 2013--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV