You Should Invest Like a Girl
By Sophia Bera
NEW YORK (AdviceIQ) -- Men traditionally dominate the financial world, but women are actually better investors. Women are less impulsive and stick to a plan. Some male investors should take notice.
Research sketches out how women differ from men when it comes to investing. According to a study by Barclays Wealth and Ledbury Research in 2011, women do indeed make more money in the stock market. We tend to take fewer risks, do more research before we invest and follow a buy-and-hold strategy.
Over the past few months playing free Texas Hold'em at a local bar, I also noticed a parallel to investing: The tendencies that make women better investors make us better poker players, too. It's no wonder that Loni Harwood, a female with a major in finance, won a gold bracelet at this year's World Series of Poker.
Women are more risk averse and less impulsive. "Women spend more time researching their investment choices, tend to take less risk than men do and hold onto their investments longer," says LouAnn Lofton, author of Warren Buffett Invests Like a Girl -- And Why You Should, Too. "Women are also more likely to seek out information that challenges their assumptions."In my completely unscientific observations, this translates to the poker tables too. I didn't notice this right away, though. George, who administers the card game I attend, pointed it out to me.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV