James River Coal
Another under-$10 energy player that's starting to move within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade is James River Coal (JRCC), which is engaged in mining, processing and selling thermal and metallurgical coal through eight active mining complexes located throughout eastern Kentucky, southern West Virginia and southern Indiana. This stock has been hit hard by the sellers so far in 2013, with shares off by 38%.
If you take a look at the chart for James River Coal, you'll notice that this stock has been trending sideways for the last two months inside of a consolidation pattern, with shares moving between $1.70 on the downside and $2.32 on the upside. Shares of JRCC are now starting to trend back above its 50-day moving average of $1.94 a share. That move is quickly pushing JRCC within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade above the upper-end of its recent sideways trading chart pattern.Market players should now look for long-biased trades in JRCC if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $2.20 to $2.32 a share and then once it clears its 200-day moving average at $2.48 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that registers near or above its three-month average volume of 1.16 million shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then JRCC will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at $2.88 to $3.50 a share, or possibly even $4 a share. Traders can look to buy JRCC off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below some key near-term support levels at either $1.74 or at $1.70 a share. One can also buy JRCC off strength once it clears those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV