Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified SolarWinds (SWI) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified SolarWinds as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SWI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $34.7 million.
- SWI has traded 1.7 million shares today.
- SWI traded in a range 218.7% of the normal price range with a price range of $2.54.
- SWI traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 21 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 21 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SWI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SWI NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on SWI: SolarWinds, Inc. designs, develops, markets, sells, and supports enterprise-class information technology (IT) and infrastructure management software to IT professionals in various organizations worldwide. SWI has a PE ratio of 33.4. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate SolarWinds a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 9 rate it a hold.The average volume for SolarWinds has been 1.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. SolarWinds has a market cap of $3.0 billion and is part of the technology sector and computer software & services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.13 and a short float of 4.4% with 2.53 days to cover. Shares are down 25.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates SolarWinds as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, impressive record of earnings per share growth, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 8.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 21.0%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- SWI has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, SWI has a quick ratio of 1.70, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- SOLARWINDS INC has improved earnings per share by 15.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, SOLARWINDS INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.07 versus $0.84 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.53 versus $1.07).
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $40.71 million or 19.40% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -13.09%.
- 48.90% is the gross profit margin for SOLARWINDS INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of SWI's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SWI's net profit margin of 29.40% compares favorably to the industry average.
- You can view the full SolarWinds Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Latest Headlines about SWI
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV