Kass: Why I Am Buying Bonds
4. Yields as measured against nominal growth are finally a bit high. Historically, the yield on the 10-year U.S. note is between 0.8x and 1.0x the nominal domestic GDP growth rate. (Note: I would argue that, given the structural headwinds to global growth, 0.8x to 0.9x may be an appropriate multiplier going forward.) Year-over-year nominal U.S. growth is currently +2.9%; 0.85 multiplied by 2.90 yields an equilibrium, or fair market value, of the 10-year yield at 2.465%, or about 46 basis points below the current yield.
5. The long end of the yield curve has increased dramatically relative to the short end. The spread between the 10-year yield and the federal funds rate is now over 280 basis points compared to the long-term average of about 180 basis points.
6. Real interest rates are higher. The real 10-year U.S. note yields +1.8% -- it was slightly negative only three months ago -- which is in line with expected trend/long-term real GDP of +2% to +2.5%.
I would buy the iShares 20+ Year Treasury Bond ETF (TLT) under $103.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV