Fonterra is not the only company to have problems of this nature in China. Yum! Brands (YUM) has had problems with its KFC unit. KFC is a very successful brand in China, accounting for 40% of YUM's profit in China. Last December it was alleged the company was using unapproved hormones and antibiotics in its chicken, which caused a serious backlash that is still hurting the company today. Same-store sales for KFC China were down double digits in July.
The reaction in the stock price after the second contamination has been minimal, dropping 4 cents, or about 2/3rd of a percent, generally in line with the broad market.
Fonterra is not a holding in the iShares MSCI New Zealand Capped ETF (ENZL). In fact there are no agricultural companies represented in the fund. But the industry plays a large role in the country's economy, accounting for more than 15% of GDP.
Fonterra has 33 plants in New Zealand and does business in 140 countries, which sets an expectation that it could take several months to implement the necessary improvements in quality control. So it would not be a surprise if there was more bad news to come.However, the fact is that China's and New Zealand's other trade partners need dairy products and Fonterra has them, which might be why the stock price has not tumbled. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @randomroger This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV