No Bids For Wyo. Federal Coal Tract A First
By MEAD GRUVER
CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) â¿¿ For the first time, nobody has bid on a federal coal tract offered for sale in Wyoming after the company that initially sought to mine the location determined that it couldn't do so profitably.
The U.S. Bureau of Land Management held a coal lease sale in Cheyenne on Wednesday but received no bids.
Usually a federal coal tract offered for sale by the BLM receives exactly one bid â¿¿ the one submitted by the company that applied to mine the coal. There are two competing bids very rarely.This time, not even Gillette-based Cloud Peak Energy followed up its 7-year-old lease application for the 149 million tons of coal next to its Cordero Rojo mine. Economic analysis that accounted for market conditions and political and regulatory uncertainty showed that not all of the coal was economically recoverable, Cloud Peak President and CEO Colin Marshall said in a release. "We were unable to construct an economic bid for this tract at this time," Marshall said. While the coal industry and its allies warn that new greenhouse gas regulations for the power plants that burn Wyoming coal threaten the coal industry and by extension the state's economy, environmentalists jumped on the decision as a victory for their side. "Even coal companies seem to be acknowledging that more coal leasing is a losing endeavor," Jeremy Nichols with WildEarth Guardians said. Cordero Rojo is the third-biggest U.S. coal mine after two others in the Powder River Basin. The basin has a dozen surface mines that produce around 40 percent of the nation's coal and make Wyoming the top coal state. Cloud Peak first applied in 2006 to mine the coal through the federal lease. The application launched a lengthy analysis by the BLM of the environmental effects of mining the coal and an in-depth assessment by the agency of the coal's value.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV