CINCINNATI, Aug. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Students are going back to school to immerse themselves in the study of reading, writing and arithmetic. And as the students hit the books, teachers, school administrators and PTA leaders can hit the web to enroll schools in the 2013-2014 Scripps National Spelling Bee.
School enrollment takes place exclusively at spellingbee.com. Parents can also use the search function on the site to see if their child's school is enrolled.
"We estimate that 11 million students will take part in the program this year," said Paige Kimble, executive director of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. "Participating schools have the opportunity to either start or continue a celebrated tradition and shine the light on academic achievement of all involved, from individual students to schools and school districts."
For the first time, vocabulary questions are incorporated into the lists educators use in the school-level spelling bees. Materials also provide direction on how educators can integrate vocabulary questions into their bees.The use of vocabulary questions in a school spelling bee is not mandatory, but encouraged to underscore the importance of knowing the meaning of words. Vocabulary testing was well received when introduced at the national finals earlier this year, and vocabulary questions will continue to be included in the preliminaries and semifinals portions of the 2014 national finals. Once enrolled, teachers and administrators have access to a virtual bee-in-a-box, with everything they need to run a classroom or school spelling bee, such as:
- Online access to the teachers-only section of spellingbee.com ( preview)
- Official study lists for students, organized by grade level ( sample)
- Study materials for each school spelling champion ( sample)
- The 2014 Classroom Pronouncer Guide ( sample)
- The 2014 School Pronouncer Guide ( sample)
- Materials to conduct a Great American SpellCheck fundraiser
- Award certificates ( sample)
- A free one-year subscription to Britannica Online for Kids (a $69.95 value) to use as a spelling bee prize