Portfolio Manager Charged with Padding Performance of Private Equity Fund
By Hal M. Bundrick
NEW YORK (MainStreet)--In the securities business, enhanced performance is not a good thing. The Securities and Exchange Commission has charged a former portfolio manager at Oppenheimer & Co. with greatly overstating the value and performance of a private equity mutual fund.
The SEC says Brian Williamson issued quarterly reports and marketing materials on the fund-of-funds offering, claiming the valuation of the holdings was based on values reported by the portfolio managers of those underlying funds. But Williamson significantly inflated the value of the mutual fund's largest investment. He also distributed marketing materials reporting an internal rate of return without deducting fees and expenses. As a result, the fund's reported performance as measured by its internal rate of return - a key indicator of the fund's performance - was significantly enhanced.
"Investors deserve and the law requires honest disclosure about how their investments are valued," said Andrew J. Ceresney, co-director of the SEC's Division of Enforcement. "Williamson improperly lured investors to the private equity fund he managed by providing false and misleading information about the fund's performance."Earlier this year, Oppenheimer agreed to pay $2.8 million in a settlement of related charges. The Oppenheimer Global Resource Private Equity Fund I, L.P. was marketed to pensions, foundations, endowments, and high net worth individuals and families. The SEC investigation says that Williamson modified the fund's marketing materials in October 2009 by increasing the reported value of the fund's largest investment -- Cartesian Investors-A LLC - from $6 million to approximately $9 million, increasing the reported internal rate of return from approximately 3.8% to 38.3%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV