Wheelabrator Technologies has been named winner of the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) Gold Excellence Award in the Waste-to-Energy category.
The award, which recognizes Wheelabrator’s exceptional operations in Spokane, will be presented at SWANA’s annual conference — WASTECON® — being held Sept. 17-19 in Long Beach, Calif.
“The recipients of the SWANA Excellence Awards represent the best solid waste management practices in North America today,” said John H. Skinner, Ph.D., SWANA executive director and CEO. “Community leaders should be very proud of the valuable contributions that these projects provide to their citizens.”
The Wheelabrator Spokane waste-to-energy facility is a key component of an integrated solid waste system serving residents and businesses in Spokane County in the state of Washington. Wheelabrator will receive SWANA’s Excellence Award for the successful performance of the facility operated for the City of Spokane. The award recognizes Wheelabrator’s high-quality service, superior technical design, demonstrated excellence in health, safety and environmental compliance, and its ongoing commitment to community engagement in Spokane.“Congratulations to Wheelabrator Technologies on its SWANA Gold Excellence Award for the operation of Spokane’s waste-to-energy facility,” said Rick Romero, the City of Spokane’s utilities division director. “We’ve enjoyed a successful public-private partnership with Wheelabrator and its devoted Spokane employees for nearly 23 years. This critical facility provides solid waste disposal services to the county’s businesses and 475,000 residents.” The Spokane waste-to-energy facility provides dependable, environmentally safe disposal of municipal solid waste (MSW), while generating clean electricity for sale to the local utility. The waste-to-energy facility processes up to 800 tons per day of MSW and has an electric generating capacity of nearly 26,000 kilowatts, the equivalent of supplying electrical needs of 23,000 Washington homes. Since opening in 1991, the Wheelabrator Spokane facility has:
- Processed over 11.4 million tons of waste — enough material to fill a line of tractor trailer trucks over 3,450 miles long — longer than the distance from Seattle, Wash. to Miami, Fla.
- Generated 2.9 million megawatts of electricity — enough to power more than 506,000 homes
- Recycled nearly 325,000 tons of ferrous metals
- Engaged more than 60,000 visitors in tours of the site
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV