- 81% of Canadians surveyed by Nanos Research say Ottawa should not favour any companies foreign or domestic in the upcoming wireless spectrum auction
- Just 2% of Canadians think foreign companies like Verizon should be given special advantages like the spectrum and other benefits enabled by the wireless loopholes
- Canadians of all kinds, pension groups, unions, academics, business and technology associations are all concerned about the cost of the loopholes
- Always ready to compete in a fair and open marketplace, Bell joins Canadians in calling on Ottawa to ensure a level playing field in wireless
MONTREAL, Aug. 21, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - A national survey released today by Nanos Research found that Canadians overwhelmingly support a level competitive playing field in the wireless industry. The survey results are further evidence that the federal government must close the 3 loopholes in its wireless rules that give a range of spectrum and other benefits originally intended for competitive startups in Canada to giant US wireless corporations like Verizon.
"Canadians have an instinctive sense of fairness and they see that giving such clear benefits to $120-billion US corporations to the direct disadvantage of Canadian companies just isn't right," said George Cope, President and CEO of Bell Canada and BCE. "More than 80% of Canadians see no need to give advantages to any company, foreign or Canadian. We agree - Bell has always said we're ready and able to compete on a level playing field. Like millions of Canadians and the growing range of organizations that represent them, we call on the federal government to close the wireless loopholes and support fair competition in Canada."
Tens of thousands of Canadians have written to Prime Minister Stephen Harper warning of the costs of the wireless loopholes and asking for a fair and open wireless marketplace, and the following organizations representing millions have joined the chorus of concern: Canadian Chamber of Commerce, Canadian Council of Chief Executives, Canadian Federation of Pensioners, Canadian Labour Congress, Canadian Taxpayers Federation, Business Council of British Columbia, Conseil du Patronat du Québec / Québec Employers Council, Information Technology Association of Canada, Montréal Economic Institute, Ontario Chamber of Commerce, TechnoMontréal, Telecommunications Workers Union, UNIFOR (CEP / CAW), and Union des municipalités du Québec.The Nanos numbers According to the national Nanos survey, 81% of Canadians believe government policy for the upcoming auction of 700 MHz wireless spectrum should show no favours to any competitor. Just 2% said foreign companies like Verizon should be given special advantages to enter the Canadian wireless marketplace. The Nanos Research study of Canadians was commissioned by Bell Canada and TELUS. For the full results including the statistics for all questions, please visit www.nanosresearch.com. The wireless loopholes With the 3 loopholes in current federal wireless rules, US giants such as Verizon could enter the Canadian market with 1) a 2:1 advantage over Canadian companies in access to this country's 700 MHz wireless spectrum; 2) the right to piggyback on Canadian networks where they don't want to build their own; and 3) the ability to acquire wireless startups in Canada while Canadian companies like Bell are forbidden from bidding for them. Despite offering these unprecedented advantages, the government offers no assurances of any significant investment in Canadian jobs or infrastructure by companies like Verizon, no assurances of lower prices (Verizon's wireless customers actually pay more on average than Bell's do), and has negotiated no reciprocal advantages for Canadian companies wanting to enter the US market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV