All told, Weinstein and Hastings may be proving to media industry moguls that discretion is the greater part of valor, especially when it comes to targeting your audience. The days of all you can eat cable packages may be numbered, especially as the likes of Google and Apple try and move into the pay TV market.
Studio and cable executives continue to blow out their budgets on generic blockbuster movies and overly large pay-TV bundles that they believe can be passed onto ignorant consumers. Weinstein and Hastings have a more enlightened approach that champions the individual. Every new content deal or original Netflix show added in the past year appears targeted at a specific audience.
The result may eventually force Hollywood to change. Netflix and Weinstein may quietly be forming new Hollywood alliances and business models that reshape the industry in coming years.
-- Written by Antoine Gara in New YorkFollow @antoinegara
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV