As a Biglari Holdings shareholder, I've been impressed with Sardar Biglari's ability to fix Steak n Shake and with his intelligence, but that has not yet translated into substantial rewards for shareholders. Biglari Holdings shares are up just 14 % in the past year, and 40% over the past two years, but that includes Cracker Barrel's stellar run over the same periods.
Keep in mind that Biglari Holdings owns $472 million worth of Cracker Barrel, and yet its own market cap is just $585 million, excluding Biglari Holdings shares owned by company-controlled entities, and so I would have expected better performance from the stock. But the stock is not well known, trades for more than $440 a share, and has limited volume.
BH data by YCharts
Biglari's latest attempt to get on Cracker Barrel's board should make for some interesting press, but there's a lot more happening at Biglari Holding's these days. The company just commenced a rights offering, which will give shareholders one right for each share owned. For every five rights, shareholders can purchase an additional share of Biglari Holdings for $265, about 40% below the current share price.
The offering could raise up to $75 million for the company. It's unclear how the proceeds will be used, though it won't be used to buy more Cracker Barrel, that's for sure.Stay tuned, this story is likely to get even more interesting. At the time of publication, the author was long Biglari Holdings. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV