SAN FRANCISCO, Aug. 21, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Diamond Foods, Inc. (Nasdaq:DMND) ("Diamond") today announced that it has reached a proposed agreement, subject to Court approval, to settle the private securities class action pending against the Company and two of its former officers.
Under the terms of the proposed settlement, Diamond would pay a total of $11 million in cash and issue 4.45 million shares of common stock to a Settlement Fund to resolve all claims asserted on behalf of investors who purchased or otherwise acquired Diamond stock between October 5, 2010 and February 8, 2012. The proposed settlement further provides that Diamond denies all claims of wrongdoing or liability.
A substantial portion of the $11 million in cash would be funded by Diamond's insurers. With respect to the 4.45 million shares of common stock, Diamond would have the ability to privately place, or conduct a public offering of, the shares with the consent of the lead plaintiff and its counsel, prior to distribution of the Settlement Fund. In that event, the Settlement Fund would include the proceeds of the offering in lieu of the settlement shares.If this proposed settlement is approved by the Court, a notice to the Class members will be sent with information regarding the allocation and distribution of the Settlement Fund and instructions on procedures to follow to make a claim on the Settlement Fund. "We believe this proposed settlement eliminates the burden of further time, expense and risk related to the class action, allowing the Diamond team to move forward fully focused on expanding the reach of our leading brands and executing on our strategic and operational initiatives for growth," stated Brian J. Driscoll, Diamond's Chief Executive Officer. "We continue to strengthen our business and are pleased that our fourth quarter performance enables us to complete fiscal year 2013 in an improved financial position."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV