NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Unless you owned stocks in the precious metals mining sector, last week's market drop probably caused you some serious indigestion.
Yet the Dow Jones Industrial Average ended last week at 15,081.47, still ahead for the year by about 15%. That's not as good as the 19.5% gain for the DJIA reached on Aug. 2, but no one should be wringing their hands.... yet. Much will depend on what the Federal Reserve, and we should get some hints today when the Fed releases minutes from last month's Federal Open Market Committee meeting.
The S&P 500 index also had its biggest weekly decline since June, but the index is really down only just over 3% since it closed near the 1,710 level on Aug. 2.
Lennar has plunged 24% since its 52-week high on May 20 of $44.40, and Toll Brothers has fallen about 20% from its 52-week high on May 22 at $39.24. Some blame the stock market's malaise on "good news is bad news." For instance, new weekly unemployment claims were the lowest since 2007. That caused concern that the Fed will reduce its bond-buying program. Give me a break! How about the millions who have stopped looking for jobs because the only ones readily available pay close to minimum wage, or how about the millions who are under-employed for the same reasons?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV